Why is purple potato useful?
In Russia and many countries, potatoes are considered to be the most favorite product, and it is not for nothing that they call it “second bread”. To date, breeders have bred more than 5,000 varieties of this indispensable vegetable. And among such diversity, exotic varieties that are not grown in our region stand out separately.
Among them, one should pay attention to purple potatoes, which are also called “vitelot”, “Chinese truffle”, “black woman” or “blue French truffle potatoes”. This variety contains a large number of anthocyanins — colored organic plant compounds belonging to flavonoids, which give the peel and pulp of the fruit a deep, dark-violet color with a blue tint that remains as bright after heat treatment.
The vitelot tubers are oblong in shape, small in size, and grow to a maximum of 10 cm in length. On average, one fruit weighs about 70 grams.Due to the presence of thick skin, the black woman is well kept and does not lose its useful properties for a long time.
This variety contains a large amount of starch, due to which the potatoes are highly boiled soft and suitable for making mashed potatoes, which will be an unusual lilac color.
Until now, the origin of Chinese truffles is not exactly known. Scientists suggest that its homeland may be Peru or Bolivia, where this vegetable is widespread. The name "vitelot" was coined by the French, and the first mention of it appeared in the early 19th century.
There are some interesting facts about Chinese truffles.
- A black woman differs from a familiar potato not only in its color, but also in its price. This plant ripens quite late and has a low yield, compared with other varieties, therefore it is not grown on an industrial scale. It is sown and cultivated in small volumes only in private farms. For this reason, the price of the vitelot is extremely high and exceeds the cost of other varieties several times!
- The color of the pulp does not have to be purple, it can be blue or dark maroon.
- Black women are extremely rare in our markets and stores.Given its not quite the usual color, many buyers think that it is a missing vegetable and are afraid to buy it, or a rather high price scares them away.
- Alexander Dumas considered the vitelot the best of all varieties of potatoes and included it in his book “The Big Culinary Dictionary”.
Not only food, but also medicine
Purple potatoes are valued not only for their high nutritional properties, but also for the benefits that bring the body. Its composition is striking in the variety of organic compounds, micro and macroelements. It contains a lot of starch, anthocyanants, phytoncides, carotenoids, fiber, pectins and amino acids. In addition, it contains potassium, phosphorus, vitamins A, E, K, PP and group B, biotin and ascorbic acid. Calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, zinc, iodine, copper and other trace elements are in a smaller amount.
Most of the valuable substances are contained in the peel, the smaller - in the core. For this reason, it is recommended to eat boiled potatoes along with the peel.
Now we will describe in more detail the useful properties of the vitelot:
- Anthocyanants reduce inflammatory reactions and interfere with the formation of free radicals in the intestine, which arise when there is a high consumption of fats and carbohydrates, and normalize its functions. In addition, anthocyanins protect the whole body from oxidation.
- A large amount of potassium, located in a black woman, is used to treat cardiovascular diseases.
- Fiber of this vegetable prevents constipation and normalizes the process of defecation.
- Fresh juice, raw potato and starch are used as an anti-inflammatory and coating agent for gastrointestinal diseases such as heartburn, gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer. Also normalizes the increased acidity of gastric juice.
- Starch is used as a powder for the skin.
- Fresh juice from tubers helps to reduce blood pressure.
- Purple potato with its diuretic properties helps with kidney disease.
- Fresh black juice is used in the treatment of wounds, eczema and other skin diseases.
- Raw vegetable helps with eye burns, obtained from welding. It is rubbed and applied for ever.
- Potato phytoncides are used for inhalation of the nasopharynx and throat. In this case, a quick effect gives the inhalation of steam from freshly cooked potatoes.
Chinese truffles, as well as from ordinary potatoes, you can cook a large number of dishes.It is used to make first courses, boil, stew, fry in a pan and bake in the oven. Any food from black women are bright and unusual in taste.
We offer a simple recipe, which will preserve all the nutrients of the vegetable, because the heat treatment will be gentle.
Braised purple potatoes.
We need the following ingredients:
- potatoes - 7-10 pieces;
- leek - 1 piece;
- dry white wine - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- olive or sunflower oil - for frying;
- dill - ½ bunch;
- salt - to taste.
- First, my vegetables, potatoes are cleaned and cut into large cubes (about 4 cm).
- Crush onions (green and white part).
- In a heated frying pan pour oil, spread vegetables, pour wine, a little water and salt at will. If you want, you can add your favorite spices.
- Stir all the ingredients and leave to simmer on low heat with the lid closed.
- The black woman prepares faster than her “relatives”, so after 15 minutes you can safely try how well she was dragged and removed from the fire.
- Spread the finished dish on a plate, sprinkle with herbs and try the "overseas" wonder.
Eating purple potatoes will not only diversify your diet, but will also benefit the body. Eat black woman, drink juice from it and be healthy!
Salad with crackers - simple and tasty recipes with photos - with chicken, beans, smoked sausage, cheese and kukurzy. Royal Crab Salad with Crackers
Methods of Dr. Fukutsuji for weight loss
A simple wallet with your own hands
Beads, string A stunning decoration in one evening is ready Master class
How to teach crumbs to handle money