Ask Jay - How To Know When To Call It Quits
How to Know when to Call the Doctor After Breast Implant Surgery
Inform yourself in advance, if possible.Ask questions when meeting with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Once you (or your loved one) is in the hospital, ask the staff about specific care-giving tasks before you leave. This may involve how much and what type of physical activity the patient should participate in, how to bandage scars, warning signs to check for, etc.
Change the bandages according to your doctor's or nurse's instructions.
- If you don't know how often to change them, call and ask. Do not open any professionally applied bandages "just to take a look". Ask your doctor or nurse whether you need to apply topical disinfectant and which kind is safe to use.
- Buy rubber gloves, and sterile gauze or adhesive gauze bandages in the appropriate size in the drugstore. When changing the bandages, do not breathe in the direction of the scar. As long as the stitches are still in, the site is prone to infection because the skin is still broken.
Comply with the instructions concerning bathing.Usually, bathing is not permitted as long as drainage tubes are still in place. Whether you can bathe with stitches still in is a question of your overall health status and should be decided by your doctor.
Try to prevent infection by foregoing physical activity.If the patient sweats, this will aid bacterial growth. Movement will place tension on the scars and increase the risk of opening them.
- Put a care network in place and avoid any kind of strenuous activity. Order in the patient's meals, if nobody else can provide care. Don't let them lift anything heavy. Physically place your hands over your scars and apply pressure while laughing, sneezing, coughing, or doing anything that causes your chest muscles to contract.
Do visual bandage checks from the outside and take the patient's temperature regularly (at least twice a day).Take pictures regularly from the outside to monitor leakage of fluids. Draw around visible leaks/stains with a pen on the outside of the bandage to monitor whether it is expanding or has already stopped. Don't press on the bandage too hard.
- If there is leakage of fluids that are slightly yellow and very watery, that is normal. If the bandage is soaking through very quickly or the site is bleeding, or the site around the stitches is puffy and red, the patient runs a fever or is feeling intense pain, always call the doctor. If any of the stitches should open up, call ahead and then immediately take the patient in to medical care.
- If the patient is released from the hospital with drainage tubes still in, and one of them should slip out or loosen, DO NOT touch the site or pull, push or tug on the tube. They are very long and you will cause internal injury. Seek medical assistance immediately.
QuestionI just found out I have breast cancer, and the lump is growing fast. What happens next?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSome people have surgery; others undergo radiotherapy or chemotherapy; others have both. Your doctor will advise what is best for you and your body. Stay positive, and remember you are strong.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Research before the surgery goes a long way. Don't assume that everyone will give you the necessary information the day you leave the hospital. Check out hospital websites with information that walks you through the healing process. Since you will need some medical supplies, try to buy them in advance or make plans with a friend, family member, or acquaintance to go to the store for you and assist you with bandage changes.
Video: How To Call A Guy Out And Show Your Standards - Ask Mark #43
Ethical Gold Mining Is Something You Need to Know About
Top 11 Home Remedies To Cure Hair Fungus Naturally
How to Design a Skull Patio Chair
You need these money-saving apps
Be Spec-tacular This Summer at Nasty Gal
The Most Popular Short Hairstyles for Men
Matthew Williamson FallWinter 2014-2015 Collection – London Fashion Week
How to Treat Tachycardia
Why Statement T-Shirts Were the Breakout Trend ofNYFW
How to Do a Deep Side Part
Reese Witherspoon Hasnt Aged Since the Original Legally Blonde—Heres Why
60 Healthier Drinks for Boozing
Kelly Ripa: Just Funny Girl Talk
Mindy Kaling Gives Birth to Daughter Katherine
How to Wipe a Computer
Date: 06.12.2018, 16:06 / Views: 74255